Message sent from:

Year 5/6 indoor 5 aside football

The y5/6 boys football team kicked off their season in style on Wednesday, finishing second overall at a tournament held at Trinity.

After 4 games we were top of the table, dominating the other teams and looking very much the team to beat. Bobby’s lone goals vs

Hungerford and Shaw Cum Donnington was enough to secure 1-0 wins; before adding to his tally with two penalties against Parsons Down. Franklin’s relentless shoong from distance paid  off to make it 3-0 when his shot rocketed into the boHom le) corner, and Henry could have made it 4 had it not been for his shot coming back off the post! Our clean sheet was jinxed before our 4th game (against Thatcham Park) by Yuki and Sam who had joked that they hadn’t had anything to do - and a last minute equaliser unfortunately meant we drew 1-1, with Franklin  getting his second for our goal. We lost our game to eventual winners- John Rankin 1-0, despite some  excellent midfield play from Henry and Archie, who had a wicked shot deflect off the post; before grinding out a goalless draw against Calcot to finish our afternoon, with Oscar doing a big shi) in midfield, filled with tracking back and charging forwards, amongst the red legs either side of him. We finished with 12 points and a goal difference of +4, and have our eyes eagerly fixed on our inbox to see if we qualify for the finals in a fortnight. Thanks to all the parents for coming to support - this is our year!

football 1

Y5 / 6 Indoor Girls Football

The girls Y5/6 team started their season at a 5-a-side tournament against 6 schools held at Trinity school on a Wednesday. For Janisha and Favour it was their debut and for all the girls it was their first time being refereed by a daunting league official! A scrappy start while they found their feet ended in defeat to Birch Copse and favourites St Nicolas. Meenakshi was also working hard at the back alongside Janisha to tackle the ever-confident St Nicolas players. Rebecca had grown into the tackling game by the 3rd game me we faced Meadow Park and had three shots on target, but was denied by the keeper. At the other end, Favour (stepping in for the injured Lily), made brave save after save and inspired the tournament with some powerful goal kicks - one of which nearly went in the opposition goal! Beth put in a serious show in midfield and set up Rebecca against Speenhamland who finally got on the scoresheet with a well placed goal; a game that we were set to win until a late brace from their star player snatched the 3pts. Without any subs and with very  tired legs, the girls bravely drew out another draw against  Hermitage to finish 5th on the day. A special well done to Favour for winning Referee’s Player of the Tournament  while playing out of position (he didn’t even wait until the end of the tournament before handing her the medal!) and Janisha for stepping in at late notice for Olivia! We’re all excited to see what the whole team can go on to achieve later this season!

Y5/6 Boys Football Team take Bronze Medal

It was a fantastic evening of football for the spectating  parents and teachers as the Y5/6 Boys team dispatched several teams to take home Bronze medals at a tournament held at Park House. After warming up, we were quickly back to our winning ways, with Jerry scoring on his debut against Hungerford B team to ignite a brotherly rivalry with George, who also scored in his first match as an outfield player. Bobby poached two goals to secure a 4-0 victory. Jerry managed to flick the ball off his ear to score against Kingsclere, which alongside excellent defending from Yuki, was enough for the team to take 3 points from our first competitive meeting with the school. Sam swapped positions with George as goalkeeper and paired up with Franklin, with both boys ferociously defending Hungerford A team’s players; and it wasn’t long before Archie played a truly spectacular lobbed through ball into the path of  Bobby, who rifled it into the net to win 1- 0. Ollie managed to get in on the action and slid the ball home against Speenhamland and we were all set to win again, until the ball was scrapping bundled across the line after a corner. Sam’s sublime diving save to claw the ball out of the top le: corner meant we salvaged a point against a tough team. Finally, the boys went all out attack against a fiercely competative Winchcombe in a local derby. Talismanic Bobby rounded off his afternoon with a further two goals, assisted by George’s cross and another wonderful long ball from Franklin, that seemed to skim the grass like a stone before landing at the strikers feet. We finished the tournament with 13 points, having only lost one against tournament winner John Rankin, and narrowly beaten by  Speenhamland to second place by just one point! I hope the Bronze medals that they wear around their necks is reward enough for the fantas2c footballing display that the team put on for the parents and teachers. Well done boys!

Y5/6 Boys ESSA Football Tournament (League A)

The Y5/6 Boys teams’ weeks got busier last Thursday as we hosted a fun tournament with several other schools. Dozens of parents from each school turned out to support as well as several Y4 children (and Mrs Berry!) coming out to start some terrace chants as the boys played in the sunshine. Our first match was against John Rankin, who we had faced earlier in the week, and  our ‘First Game Curse’ returned as we succumbed to a 1-0 loss. The pace of the ball from the striker’s shot beat Sam at his le: side. However there was a stark improvement once the boys had warmed up and we held Springfield to a 0-0 draw, with more heroic saves from Sam and relentless defending from Yuki keeping us in it. Archie and Oscar in midfield (as well as Bobby and Mada upfront) all had shots veer off target as they desperately tried to score. This valuable point li:ed us off the boEom of the table and into conten2on for the silver medal. It wasn’t until our final match against Burghfield St Mary’s that the parents and Mr  Strickland could celebrate a goal with the boys. We were frustratingly down by 1-0 within the first 30 seconds but the boys showed great character and patience to put pressure on a then-complacent team. It paid off when Bobby crossed the ball into Archie, who curled it round the keeper into the top right corner. With the clock 2cking down and the teams looking set to be locked in stalemate, Bobby made a daring run into the box and whipped it home from a near-impossible angle. Benji and Franklin consistently tracked back and denied any further chances to ensure we came off the pitch with 3 points. The boys finished second place behind John Rankin and a great afternoon of football was enjoyed by everyone.

KS1 Multiskills

Well done to the children that took part in the KS1 Mul.skills compe..on at Park House on Thursday


Y5 / Y6 Archery

Insert content here

Y5 / 6 Bowling


Congratulations to our KS2 bowling team who won a well deserved silver medal coming 3rd our of 20 schools .Great team work!

Football V Robert Sandilands

Having got through the round of 16 by default after our opponents pulled  out, the Y5/6 Boys put on a dominant display against Robert Sandilands in the quarter-finals of the Bill McIlvride cup. Playing on a muddy pitch, the boys dug deep to take the lead twice and progress into the semi-finals of the tournament. Mada set the tone within the first 10 seconds, careering off the ball into the box before regaining possession and tucking the ball into the bo,om right corner. Cheers from the travelling fans spurred the boys on to stay in control for much of the first half, with lovely linkup play between Henry, Bobby and Franklin to frustrate the home defenders. Our opponents had some quality players but their attacks were stifled by Benji and Yuki’s tackles until a mishit clearance bounded back to the feet of their striker. He fired high above Sam’s head into the roof of the huge goals to equalise. However the boys still went into the break looking very much the better team. The second half started at a speedy pace, with Bobby immediately attacking the left flank and curlng into the box to curl the ball around the keeper and make it 2-1. Oscar looked likely to make it three as the ball was threaded through to him in front of an open goal, but he failed to get his knee over the ball and ended up pushng it over. “It was a disaster!” he later said, although he made up for it with a devilish shot seconds later that was on target but saved by the keeper. George helped dig in defensively as Robert Sandilands pushed to equalise and Yuki, growing in confidence, enjoyed a lot of 9me on the ball down the left wing. He was unlucky not to release Micah, in plenty of space in the middle, to try and wrap up the game; but thanks to two excellent saves from Sam in the second half, the score remained 2-1. We await details of who we will face in the semi-finals. Thank you to the parents who helped with transport and supported the boys in a great performance!